[Talk-GB] Bottle Kilns

SK53 sk53.osm at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 14:22:08 UTC 2018

Looks fine to me, and the tag is in extensive usage.

This is roughly the tagging we have used for the disused one at West
Hallam:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/edit?editor=potlatch2#map=18/52.97438/-1.35346
.

My only qualm is about disused=yes. I presume this is very much the default
for bottle kilns (and most lime kilns in the UK), but it then creates the
usual problem for other types of kilns which are in use, such as the
charcoal kiln shown on the wikipage. I also perhaps change the product tag
to something like former_product just to make it less easy to accidentally
query historical kilns when looking for ones in use.

As an aside there are quite a number of historically interesting lime kilns
distributed around the coast - County Antrim, Pembrokeshire (Solva,
Porthgain - nice pub too, Penmon, Anglesey. There are also kilns in
unexpected places inland - there are several in Glen Brerachan E of
Pitlochry (see e.g., Canmore
<https://canmore.org.uk/site/140618/ceanghline)>) because there is a thin
exposure of Loch Tay Limestone there.

Jerry