[Talk-GB] Bottle Kilns

Russ Phillips russ.phillips.nospam at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 06:38:47 UTC 2018

Right, I'm now thinking I'll tag as:

building=bottle_kiln
kiln=pottery
disused:man_made=kiln
former_product=pottery
historic=kiln

and add tourism=museum where appropriate.

Ideally
I'd have the building as a way.
Then the kiln as a node with the product.
This allows the building to remain 'intact' while the kiln could go disused
to abandoned depending on how bad it is.
I note that the kiln requires more than the building, for example heat
proofing, venting.

Most of the bottle kilns in Stoke-on-Trent are stand-alone brick
structures, and the whole building is the kiln. They were filled with
pottery, the doorway was bricked up, and fires were lit at the bottom.

However, this brings up a related point. Some bottle kilns are inside
another building (eg the one at Moorcroft:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/83551695@N00/4794476050/) How would I map
those? I'm guessing I'd have two ways - one for the outer building, and one
for the bottle kiln, with a relation to tie them together. If so, what type
of relation should I use?

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Russ