[Talk-GB] 'C' class roads references.

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Sat Aug 4 09:21:48 UTC 2018

On 04/08/18 10:07, Philip Barnes wrote:
> the standatrd renderer is International

There should not be a standard renderer.  That would definitely
encourage tagging for the (that) renderer.  The map needs to describe
what is actually there.  It has always been up to individual renderers
to interpret that in ways most useful to their end users.

In particular, the default Mapnik rendering, on the OSM web site is not
a standard rendering, it is a rendering intended primarily for mappers,
not car drivers, and secondarily a technology demonstrator.

Incidentally, I believe there is a trend towards not signing roads, as
satellite navigators remove the need.  Also, trying to spot a road
reference on a sign seems to me to be something that distracts from safe
driving.  The routers should probably simply be referring to distance
and side of the turning.

If you want to use signage, people should be mapping the exact wording
on the signage as an attribute of the junction or the sign, rather than
of the road.