[Talk-GB] 'C' class roads references.

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Sat Aug 4 09:50:40 UTC 2018

On 04/08/18 10:31, Lester Caine wrote:
> 'display_ref=no' would be appropriate in some areas of the world

As I hinted in a previous response, this is an attribute of the
junction, not the road.  Moreover, it is probably a directed attribute,
so actually relates to a turn relation.

Also, display_ref is imperative.  OSM attributes should be declarative,
so I think you would want something closer to ref:signed=false.

In practice though, anyone adding C references in the UK is, to some
extent, armchair mapping, so I don't think you can rely on this
reflecting the on the ground situation in most cases, so I still thin
the renderer need to apply the rule:

If in the UK and ref:visible not present for the intended turn, assume
ref:signed no if the destination reference begins C, otherwise yes.
However, turn right in 100m may be safer for all minor turnings (road
names don't get replaced when damaged, even for residential roads).