[Talk-GB] 'C' class roads references.

Dave F davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com
Sat Aug 4 09:52:52 UTC 2018

On 04/08/2018 09:55, David Woolley wrote:
> On 04/08/18 00:47, Dave F wrote:
>>
>> After many discussions over the years about the referencing of 'C'
>> class roads there appeared to be a general consensus to keep them in
>> the database but provide a unique tag to allow them not to be rendered.
>
> I assume you mean the reference is not rendered rather than the road.

Yes. Note the frequent use of the word 'reference'.

> It seems to me that, in the UK, class C roads should be exactly the
> set of roads with highway=tertiary, so there is no need for a new tag.

By design or error (of either the highway authority or OSM mappers) that
is, unfortunately, not the case. I've provided Overpass queries for
contributors to check & verify these anomalies.

> Even if that is not true, the correct solution would be to test the
> reference in the renderer and suppress it if within the UK.

Collecting them into a unifying tag makes it easier for them to decide
how they want to do it.

DaveF