[Talk-GB] 'C' class roads references.

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Sat Aug 4 19:20:19 UTC 2018

On 04/08/18 17:58, WebMaster at Killyfole.org.uk wrote:
> What do you define as on the ground? The road is there, it has a
> classification and name set by the local authority.  Hence setting the ref=
> and name= tags.

Some people take the position that you cannot add a name, foreign
language name, or unless you can actually see that name clearly being
used as the name of the object if you actually visit the place.

I take a looser position, that the name or reference must be verifiable
by an average mapper (that might be for example if 90% of locals give
the name if asked, as well  as if it appears in some open licensed database.

A strict on the grounder, wouldn't for example accept a post code,
unless the full postal address was displayed on the building.

However, in the case in question a road can still pass the strict on the
ground test but have the reference not appearing for someone approaching
from a particular direction, because the reference is really being used
to label the turn, or the exit lane, in the case of a router.

I get this a lot with urban public rights of way.  They will have the
reference at one end, but not the other, so can be on the ground
labelled with the reference, but it would still not be helpful to tell a
pedestrian to turn right onto PROW 666.