[Talk-GB] 'D' class roads references.

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Sun Aug 5 14:23:31 UTC 2018

On 05/08/18 14:44, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> Rob Nickerson wrote:
>> Dave can you do the D class roads too. Someone has added these -
>> e.g:https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/52.21554/-1.87663

And D designations will be reused in other areas ... I have seen a
couple more D5383 such as D5383, Johns Road, Bugbrooke but possibly not
in OSM ... these designations ARE used in publicly published reports.

> That reminds me - there's some weird ones in Hillingdon too:
>     https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/51.5603/-0.3943

https://www.hillingdon.gov.uk/media/28177/List-of-classified-roads/pdf/JW-LIST_OF_CLASSIFIED_ROADS.pdf
is probably the source of those designations ...

> Can anyone think of a location in mainland GB where
> tertiary/unclassified/residential roads_should_  have a (non-A/B[1]) ref?
> Milton Keynes has its (signposted) H and V numbers for Horizontal/Vertical,
> but other than that I can't remember any.

Interestingly, from the guidelines ...
> C road
>> another term for a classified unnumbered road. Any numbering
> system around C roads is peculiar to the authority and is not coordinated on a
> national basis; as a result, we advise that it is not displayed.

> D road
>> another term for an unclassified road. Any numbering system around
> D roads is peculiar to the authority and is not coordinated on a national basis;
> as a result, we advise that it is not displayed.

So we end up with data that should not be displayed ... but is still
valid data in terms of the database!

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL