[Talk-GB] 'D' class roads references.

Mark Goodge mark at good-stuff.co.uk
Sun Aug 5 21:00:06 UTC 2018

On 05/08/2018 21:10, Martin Wynne wrote:
>> Copyright doesn't work like that.
>
> But you can't copyright names, addresses and similar material.
>
> Road names and numbers would surely fall within that.

Public road names and numbers (eg, names on name plates and numbers on
road signs) fall within that. But C and D numbers are not (normally)
public, they are internal identifiers not intended for public use. The
fact that a published document may include them doesn't necessarily mean
that they can be re-used.

In practice, I doubt that there would be any objection to them being
incorporated in other documents such as OSM. But OSM doesn't work on the
basis that something is probably OK, however high the probability. It
needs to be definitely and incontrovertibly OK, either via a licence
which permits re-use or an explicit grant of permission from the
rightsholder.

Mark