[Talk-GB] 'D' class roads references.

Mark Goodge mark at good-stuff.co.uk
Sun Aug 5 21:18:38 UTC 2018

On 05/08/2018 14:44, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> Rob Nickerson wrote:
>> Dave can you do the D class roads too. Someone has added these -
>> e.g: https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/52.21554/-1.87663
>
> That reminds me - there's some weird ones in Hillingdon too:
>     https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/51.5603/-0.3943
>
> Can anyone think of a location in mainland GB where
> tertiary/unclassified/residential roads _should_ have a (non-A/B[1]) ref?
> Milton Keynes has its (signposted) H and V numbers for Horizontal/Vertical,
> but other than that I can't remember any.

The H and V numbers in Milton Keynes aren't actually numbers, in the
road numbering sense. They're names, or parts of names, in the same way
that "Fifth Avenue" and "32nd Street" are names of roads in New York.

The use of H and V numbers in Milton Keynes to mimic US-style numbered
street/avenue names was deliberate, along with the grid layout of the
street pattern. The aim was to give Milton Keynes a very distinctive
structural style, all part of the vision of a "new city".

In practice, both the naming and layout have softened somewhat since
first being built, with most streets now having "normal" names as well
as H and V numbers, and newer residential streets not necessarily
following the grid pattern. But most major longitudinal and latitudinal
roads retain their original H and V numbers as part of the current name
(for example, "V7 Saxon Street" and "H6 Childs Way").

Mark