[Talk-GB] 'D' class roads references.

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Sun Aug 5 21:59:28 UTC 2018

On 05/08/18 21:10, Martin Wynne wrote:
>> Copyright doesn't work like that.
>
> But you can't copyright names, addresses and similar material.

That's why the legislators introduced the concept of database rights.
OSM works more in the concept of database rights, which don't require
creativity, only that some effort be spent in collecting the data.

Some printed maps are also subject to copyright because human creativity
has gone into the exact representations used.

> Road names and numbers would surely fall within that.
>
> I'm not suggesting copying the document and posting it verbatim.

Database rights apply to copying all or a substantial part, and OSM take
the position that it is still copying  substantial part if lots of
people copy different parts that wouldn't individually, be protected.

Incidentally, historically, printed maps contained deliberate errors to
allow copying to be detected.