[Talk-GB] 'C' class roads references.

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Wed Aug 8 08:26:43 UTC 2018

On 08/08/18 08:30, Andy Townsend wrote:
> There are combinations that aren't handled perfectly (especially where
> roads have a mixture of different refs) and I'll look at some of these
> edge cases later.  Hopefully though as things stand it's useful to
> people who really want to see these "official" refs.

I think this is part of the 'UK' problem. While some reference numbers
are not displayed 'on the ground', increasingly they ARE being used in
official announcements such as accident reports, road closures, planning
applications and the like so that the relevant authorities know they are
talking about the same stretch of road, but that does not help us 'mere
mortals' unless someone actually publishes a map to show the situation
on the ground. That OSM IS in a position to fill this hole where often
even the official maps do not because OS does not provide a rendering
using them is just another plus for OSM. But I have no problem accepting
that this should be on a UK specific map rather than something dumbed
down for the whole world ...

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL