[Talk-GB] 'historic' county boundaries added to the database

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Wed Aug 8 08:54:09 UTC 2018

On 07/08/18 20:48, Dave F wrote:

> User smb1001 is currently adding county boundary relations with
> boundary=historic through out the UK:
> http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/ASf (May take a while to run)
>
> Changeset discussion:
>
>  From the historic wiki page
> "historic objects should not be mapped as it is outside of scope of OSM"
>
> Frankly I don't buy his comments. The problem is where to stop? Do we
> have ever iteration of every boundary change since time immemorial? Then
> what about buildings, roads, or coastline changes etc? The database
> would become unmanageable for editors (it already is if zoomed out too
> far).
>
> I think these edits should be revoked.

They should be moved to OHM but then ANY information that is superseded
should be automatically archived to SOMETHING since we are now in a
situation where much accurately mapped material is simply dumped when
there is a change to the current situation. The 'delete' process should
be handled in a manor more sensitive to the hard work that has gone before!

I have always disagreed that 'historic changes have no place in the
database', since the vast majority of the material making up the
historic data such as boundaries IS the same as the current 'live' data.
Simply not downloading data that has a prior end date does not make
anything 'unmanageable', in fact it makes life a hell of a lot easier
since one can simply tag a section of the boundary as 'end_date=xxx' and
add a new section with the boundary change as 'start_date=xxx'. The ONLY
question is what happens to the data once it has an end date ... which
may be some time in the future ...

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL