[Talk-GB] 'historic' county boundaries added to the database

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Wed Aug 8 11:14:14 UTC 2018

The OS publish boundaries for historic counties, so one could say these
boundaries are the current boundaries for the historic counties. If this
(probably completely static) dataset is used as a baseline, at least
these relations would have a verifiable source.

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/business-and-government/help-and-support/products/boundary-line.html#Historicdownload

"The links above represent counties based on historic records and
mapping circa 1888 and using the primary sources of the Local Government
(England and Wales) Act 1888, the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1889
and the Sheriffs Act 1887. "

On 2018-08-08 13:05, Lester Caine wrote:

> On 08/08/18 10:56, Dave F wrote:
> On 08/08/2018 09:54, Lester Caine wrote: we are now in a situation where much accurately mapped material is simply dumped when there is a change to the current situation. 1. it's not dumped, it's still in the database as a historic version.
> 2. Changes almost always increase the accuracy & detail of the database.

Going back through the change logs is not the easiest process? Isolating
deletions that are due to historic changes rather than simple factual
corrections also muddies the water. But making the link to OHM more
organised would allow current valid data to be archived properly?

>> The 'delete' process should be handled in a manor more sensitive to the hard work that has gone before!
>>
>> the vast majority of the material making up the historic data such as boundaries IS the same as the current 'live' data.
>
> I'm unsure that's true, but if it were, why duplicate?

That was always my argument AGAINST OHM ... since much of the data
making up boundaries has not changed, having to duplicate that
information over to OHM, and then decide where material is current or
historic means that IDEALLY OHM is a complete copy of the OSM database,
but with the historic material easier to find than via change sets ...
why not just manage a single database? People who don't want access to
historic material simply ignore data which has 'expired' via end_date.