[Talk-GB] 'historic' county boundaries added to the database

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Wed Aug 8 13:02:33 UTC 2018

On 08/08/18 12:59, Dave F wrote:
> How often do you believe people will actually want historic data?
> Organizations archive for a reason. Consider your house, how things you
> don't use will get shoved to the back of the cupboard/shed.
> I live in a Roman city, the editors struggle to display current data.
> Imagine what it would be like if *everything* was shown back to the days
> of Emperor Nero.

We have the same problem all over the place in keeping historic data
accessible. The argument is always 'How many people will use it' or
'Does it matter if we ignore that' :(

Even providing verifiable timestamps for historic events is a gamble
since the timezone database hides verified data prior to 1970 'because
it's outside the remit'! In which case one needs a reliable source for
time offsets even as recently as the 2nd world war because those
provided by TZ are known to be wrong ... but nobody provides it :(

The fact that there was Roman settlement in an area is very useful data
for a planning department to know if a full archaeological report is
needed. My own genealogical research would be helped if CURRENT data had
a start_date and then one could see if a street being referenced
actually existed at the time ... that is one for OSM rather than OHM
except the street may have been 'moved' or renamed, at which time the
historic element may become important. And knowing if the street on the
current map was in a different county is also important data. But where
do you go to find out.

There is no clear distinction as to what is current and what is historic
data. They intertwine and a single documented view of all the data
including that which is becoming history on a daily basis should be the
target, rather than saying 'It's too difficult so lets ignore it'. It's
not difficult for a computer to manage and if people have the desire to
start filling in all the gaps then they should be supported, not told to
go away?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL