[Talk-GB] 'historic' county boundaries added to the database

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Wed Aug 8 13:20:03 UTC 2018

On 08/08/18 13:54, Colin Smale wrote:
> There are plenty of examples of "former" objects in OSM - closed pubs,
> railway alignments etc. They are only still there because they are
> perceived to have some kind of relevance in the present day. Can a case
> be made that these historic counties are still "relevant" today?

I'm listening to the steam trains pulling in and out of Broadway station
at the moment. This was a 'disused' line and there was talk about
removing that sort of data from OSM. The line out of Broadway goes on
north and still has a designated use of 'disused railway'. I don't know
if the line will ever be extended, but in some peoples minds it's on the
cards as it could eventually link to Stratford Upon Avon. That end of
the line has now been built on so a new terminus would have to stop
short, but knowing where the line used to run through that house estate
is interesting to some.

Even a pub has a place in the tracking of genealogical data and if one
has some means of showing a current map with the location of previous
events it's a useful tool. OHM is trying to do that, but since every
change in OSM has to be mirrored to OHM I find this very counter
productive ... YES there is a need for separate layers of data such as
the battles of the second world war, but all should have a single base
in OSM and where key parts of the two combine, the current OSM map
continues to display them. Purely using OSM data to show the development
of a town over time potentially needs very little 'historic' data other
then 'start_date' ...

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL