[Talk-GB] 'historic' county boundaries added to the database

Dave F davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com
Fri Aug 10 12:09:21 UTC 2018

Hi

On 10/08/2018 12:05, John Aldridge wrote:
> I *generally* agree with your principle of 'only mapping what is on
> the ground', but if we followed that strictly we wouldn't map current
> administrative boundaries either.

That isn't the correct mantra.

"OpenStreetMap is a place for mapping things that are both /real and
current"/

https://www.openstreetmap.org/welcome

The admin boundaries we map are both real, as set out in legislation, &
current.

The historic boundaries recently added are not current, their "origins
lie in antiquity." They are not "used for the purposes of
administrative, geographical and political demarcation."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counties_of_the_United_Kingdom

> These historic counties do, rightly or wrongly, form part of some
> people's sense of identity *today*, and I think that crosses the bar
> for inclusion.

But they don't cross OSM's bar.

I'm struggling to fathom how 1888 can be considered "today", and I'm
unsure how someone's 'sense of identity' is relevant to what is mapped.

'wrongly' is not a reason for inclusion.

Cheers
DaveF