[Talk-GB] 'historic' county boundaries added to the database

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Fri Aug 10 14:37:12 UTC 2018

On 10/08/18 13:00, Martin Wynne wrote:
> In this area I was taken to task for adjusting an unexplained boundary,
> which turned out to be the local "PlusBus" area boundary for inclusive
> fares from the nearest railway station

That's likely to be subject to database rights, as I don't think that it
is normal to sign stops with whether or not they are in the area.

In any case an actual boundary can only be obtained from another map,
not from the ground.  The best you could do on the ground is identify
the finite set of existing stops that are in the area.

> postal counties

These no longer exist.  All you need to fully address mail is the
postcode plus the two character delivery point suffix, within that post
code (which is usually, but not necessarily, a simple encoding of the
house number, although not in base 10).  In practice, though, the postie
actually wants the street name as well, as I used just post code and
house number on the return to sender address, and got a note that it
takes an extra day to find the street.