[Talk-GB] 'C' class roads references.

Rob Nickerson rob.j.nickerson at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 22:08:12 UTC 2018

>On what basis is 'highway_authority_ref' being put forward since I don't
think the councils who allocate the references for C and U roads are
actually the 'highway_authority'

Hi Lester,

I expect the basis is the Highways Act 1980 which defines them as "Local
Highways Authorities". I'm not sure if these align with Local Authorities.
It looks like they do outside of London, but I get confused by how London
is run. In summary:

- Outside Greater London it is the "council of the County"
- The Greater London Council for all metropolitan roads
- The council of a London Borough, or a Common Council for all councils in
the borough or the City which are not metropolitan roads

And apparently metropolitan roads are all those that existed, or where in
planning, and were captured by the definition in the Transport (London) Act

Oh and, they are the authority of all highways whether or not they are
maintained at public expense!

So I assume that this made GLC the authority of all highways previously
defined (maybe just those maintained at public expense) and the London
Borough for all new ones (although I guess they passed control to GLC) and
any that GLC hadn't picked up (maybe the ones not maintained by public

But to summarise: Highways Authority is not a term reserved for the
national Highway Authorities. Local ones can use this term too.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-gb/attachments/20180816/9bc7f394/attachment.html>

More information about the Talk-GB mailing list