[Talk-GB] Churchyard gate/shelter

Martin Wynne martin at templot.com
Wed Aug 22 15:55:21 UTC 2018

Thanks all.

> In the absence of a an official barrier=lych_gate tag why not use
> *both* barrier=gate
> and building=shelter tags, which would describe it?

Well, a barrier is a Point, and a building is an Area - the iD editor
doesn't let you combine them. This is not the first time I've been
confused by this distinction. It seems to me that a lot of things which
are nominally points, could just as easily be areas/buildings if you
zoom in far enough when editing. For example a telephone kiosk,
especially one now used as a village library. Also pylons, masts, etc.,
which can occupy a considerable area at ground level.

In this case I have now created two separate objects - a building as a
weather_shelter, with description=lych_gate. And inside it a separate
point as barrier = gate on the public right of way (foot path) which
runs through it.

Thanks.

Martin.