[Talk-GB] 'historic' county boundaries added to the database

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Sun Aug 26 19:54:57 UTC 2018

On 2018-08-26 20:45, Adam Snape wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I don't think it's for those who have mapped something in OSM to demonstrate majority support for its retention. I think it is for those seeking to have others' contributions removed to demonstrate a clear consensus in favour of deletion.

I haven't done a scientific analysis of all the standpoints expressed on
this thread over the past weeks, but I suspect the support for deletion
is not unanimous, although it may be a majority of the relatively small
number of participants. There is a case being made for retention as
well. BUT, if we are to allow this data to persist in OSM, then we
should at least ensure it is appropriately documented. There is a wiki
page for boundary=historic, which I think makes it clear that these
boundaries should not be in OSM. We will need to find a turn of phrase
for the wiki page to explain that there are exceptions to the general
rule.

If the data is to remain in the database I would definitely like to see
some kind of metadata added to the relations, with source and either
start/end dates or a single validity date.