[Talk-GB] 'historic' county boundaries added to the database

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Sun Aug 26 20:48:18 UTC 2018

On 2018-08-26 22:05, Martin Wynne wrote:

>> I don't think it's for those who have mapped something in OSM to
>> demonstrate majority support for its retention. I think it is for those
>> seeking to have others' contributions removed to demonstrate a clear
>> consensus in favour of deletion.
>
> Should this consensus be among OSM mappers or OSM users?

Normally OSM is very mapper-centric, possibly too much so. If there was
a bit more engagement from the data consumer community we might reach a
more balanced consensus, rather than the current status where we are
often afraid to raise the quality bar for contributors for fear of
frightening them off or something.

Data modelling is an art.... Striking the right balance between too much
and not enough detail, what to put in and what to leave out, remembering
that what you want to get out determines what you have to put in. If you
expect to be able to see the distinction between A and B, then the data
to enable that distinction must be in the database directly, or it must
be derivable from data that IS present. Until the tagging is sufficient
for some algorithm to make that distinction, the problem has not been
solved.