[Talk-GB] 'historic' county boundaries added to the database

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Sun Aug 26 21:00:46 UTC 2018

On 2018-08-26 22:47, Adam Snape wrote:

> I feel I should stress at this point that we do map a fairly similar set of boundaries, the so-called 'ceremonial counties'. These are basically a modern attempt at providing a set of geographic county areas which don't strictly follow county council administrative areas eg. the ceremonial  county of Nottinghamshire actually contains Nottingham!
>
> If our mapping of boundary relations should only extend to administrative functions we probably ought to reconsider our inclusion of ceremonial counties. If we can see the value to the database of a county as a geographic concept divorced from administration there might well be a case for including our traditional counties.

Except that the "ceremonial counties" actually do exist, and serve a
function. They are formally called "Lieutenancy Areas" and represent the
jurisdiction of the Lord Lieutenant as direct representative of the
monarchy. Their boundaries are maintained by a different legal process
to the admin areas, and on occasions can diverge for a limited period
until they catch up with changes to admin boundaries. And then there is
the Stockton-on-Tees anomaly...the borough is divided between the
ceremonial counties of Durham and North Yorkshire.

While we are at it, let's kill off the admin_level=5 regions and
introduce the new combined authorities with a metro mayor at that level.