[Talk-GB] When is a hedge a wood?

Mark Goodge mark at good-stuff.co.uk
Sun Aug 26 22:30:29 UTC 2018

On 26/08/2018 23:16, Martin Wynne wrote:
>> Both. It's administratively and legally part of the highway, but it's
>> the part of the highway which consists of a grass verge.
>
> Thanks Mark.
>
> I think I should map that as
>
> landuse=highway
>
> landcover=grass
>
> However for some inexplicable reason, landuse=highway isn't allowed. I
> was told the reason is in the name Open *STREET* Map, although I'm none
> the wiser.

This is a terminology thing again. OSM uses "highway" to refer to the
route you travel along, with various tags to indicate the importance and
permissions of the route, while UK legislation uses the word to refer to
a legal function. Another instance where this can cause problems is
something like a public square, in many cases these are legally highways
even if they are, at least most of the time, pedestrianised. But you
can't tag an area as a highway, only a way. So you can't tag a public
open space as a highway even if, legally, it is.

Mark