[Talk-GB] When is a hedge a wood?

Philip Withnall philip at tecnocode.co.uk
Mon Aug 27 08:45:08 UTC 2018

On Sun, 2018-08-26 at 20:35 +0100, Martin Wynne wrote:
> Rural boundaries can be extraordinarily difficult to map. For
> example,
> is this:
>
>   https://goo.gl/maps/FtjMZiwNj542
>
> a) a fence,
>
> b) a hedge,
>
> c) a very narrow wood,
>
> d) all three at the same time?
>
> Is the area in front of it
>
> a) grass,
>
> b) highway,
>
> c) both?
>
> (Not mapping from Google, I walked along there recently.)

I’d map it as a fence, with some tree nodes for each tree (since there
aren’t many of them and they’re fairly distinct).

I wouldn’t bother mapping the grass verge, since that’s not really
useful for navigation or any other use of OSM data that I can think of;
and life is too short.

I would make sure to set sidewalk=left or sidewalk=right (depending on
which way you’ve mapped the road) on the road line, since that’s useful
for pedestrian navigation. It could be used to predict that there’s a
verge on the other side too.

I’d also say lit=yes on the road, for completeness.

Philip