[Talk-GB] When is a hedge a wood?

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Mon Aug 27 15:19:12 UTC 2018

On Mon, 2018-08-27 at 15:52 +0100, Martin Wynne wrote:
> > Certainly as clear as mud, a router will should only look on the
> > left
> > side. How is that any different to landuse=railway?
> >
> > Phil (trigpoint)
>
> Hi Phil,
>
> For railways you can have landuse=railway_corridor for sidings and
> other
> wide areas inside the railway's boundary fence. But there doesn't
> seem
> to be a corresponding highway_corridor available.

Landuse=highway does have some usage, and certainly the term forbidden
does not exist in OSM.

There is no such thing as available, if you think a new tag is needed
then you can use it.

The tag has existed on the A55 for some years, so I think if was
causing problems for routers we would have noticed by now.

There is certainly an ongoing proposal
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/landuse%3Dhighway

There seems to be some confusion, no doubt due to American usage, but
the concept does make perfect sense to me. It certainly does not say
forbidden.

Phil (trigpoint)