[Talk-GB] When is a hedge a wood?

Martin Wynne martin at templot.com
Mon Aug 27 17:09:53 UTC 2018

> Landuse=highway does have some usage, and certainly the term forbidden
> does not exist in OSM.
>
> There is no such thing as available, if you think a new tag is needed
> then you can use it.
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/landuse%3Dhighway

Hi Phil,

I'm confused. If anyone can use anything, what is the meaning of having
a vote about it?

That page says voting on landuse=highway was suspended 5 years ago, and
there are more opposed to it than in favour.

There must be some distinction between "official" tags and home-made
ones, otherwise how is the renderer to know what to do with them? If it
is not rendered, and no-one knows it exists to be searched for, what is
the point of adding it to the database? If I put landuse=ufo_landing_pad
who would ever know that it is in there?

regards,

Martin.