[Talk-GB] Road refs

Adam Snape adam.c.snape at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 07:35:53 UTC 2018

Hi Tony,

Please do read the conversation, but I think it's important to stress that
no one is changing the standard  tagging here. It has never been standard
to map unsigned references for tertiary/unclassified roads under the ref
tag; indeed there has long been a consensus against doing so.

The UK tagging guidelines have always advised against using the ref tag:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_Tagging_Guidelines
although you'll notice from that there's still no overall agreement on
exactly which other tag to use for unsigned references. I do believe this
should have been discussed before the mechanical edit.

As a reminder, if you are adding unsigned references you do need to make
sure that you're using an acceptable source which doesn't infringe council
copyright. ie. a source that is released under a public licence such as the
Open Government Licence or one which we have explicit permission to include
in OSM and release under the ODBL.

Kind regards

Adam