[Talk-GB] Coastline and tidal rivers

Tony Shield tony.shield999 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 10:50:23 UTC 2018

I'm with Colin on this.

My experience of sailing and reading Admiralty charts is that the
coastline is the High Water line.  Yes it looks inconvenient or
unnatural - but tidal area as implied by coastline is so important to
small boat users. The River Dart

    Way: 194211894 waterway= riverbank

is a really arbitrary line across the river from Dartmouth Castle, this
offends my view of what a coastline is.

Another relevant concept is salinity - tidal coastline is saline and
does affect plant and marine life . Which leads us into a conundrum -
things such as salt marsh and mangrove swamps which are all inter-tidal;
where should the coastline be?

We should also be aware that an incoming tide blocks the natural flow of
the river and causes the river to form a type of lake which reduces as
the tide ebbs. This effect can cause people to think a river is tidal in
that area when it is not.

In my local area the River Ribble estuary in OSM changes from riverbank
to coastline near Warton airfield, but wikipedia describes "The Normal
Tidal Limit (NTL) of the river is at Fishwick Bottoms, between Preston
andWalton-le-Dale <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walton-le-Dale>, 11
miles (18 km) from the sea"

so where should the boundary of coastline to  riverbank be? I suggest
where the inter-tidal range or zonal area is small - range < 1 foot,
line of zone perpendicular to the boundary is < 1 yard (or metric
equivalent).
A heuristic could be where it becomes long and thin? Ribble is almost
acceptable - Dart is not as I write this.

But really I prefer the existing guidance.

Regards
TonyS999