[Talk-GB] Road refs

Dave F davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com
Tue Aug 28 10:56:14 UTC 2018

Hi Adam

On 28/08/2018 08:35, Adam Snape wrote:

> The UK tagging guidelines have always advised against using the ref
> tag:
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_Tagging_Guidelines
> although you'll notice from that there's still no overall agreement on
> exactly which other tag to use for unsigned references. I do believe
> this should have been discussed before the mechanical edit.

It was discussed back in '15. Some felt the two listed were specific
enough with another option put forward, which I'm currently using. I
indicated in my OP that that was up for discussion. Please start the
ball rolling if you have objections to highway_authority_ref.

Point about OSM wiki: IMO giving multiple options for the same entity
leads to confusion & errors so should be avoided.

Cheers
DaveF