[Talk-GB] GB does not include Northern Ireland

Dan S danstowell+osm at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 20:10:37 UTC 2018

For reference, here's DaveF's email where he documents his mechanical
edit: <https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-gb/2018-August/021690.html>.
(Note also that it includes a note about Northern Ireland.)

Comparing that email against the OSM policy which Brian links to (the
Automated Edits Code of Conduct): This talk-gb seems indeed the
correct forum. The documentation happened after-the-fact rather than
in advance, as the AECoC demands. It seems relatively innocent in this
case given the consensus implied by previous threads (eg the ones
listed in DaveF's email), and I guess he took that as sufficient for
the "discussion period" - however, I agree it'd be much better to have
followed the automated-edits rules more closely, and given prior
notice of the actual edit with at least a few days' pause for
discussion. I'd have hoped the dissenters could have joined that
discussion (could we have notified them directly of the chance to join
in, just to be sure?).

I did an automated edit once, and although I was impatient at the lag
created by following the AECoC, the resulting clarity was a definite
good thing.

Dan