[Talk-GB] Road refs

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 19:35:17 UTC 2018

On 29/08/2018 20:25, Toby Speight wrote:
> Thanks for that - it predates my joining this list.  It seems to (partially)
> answer only my first question - it's to benefit those who don't like their
> rendering (on paper/screen or on a navigation device).  That's why we have
> rendering rules - if you don't like the rendering, change the rules.  Using
> the wrong tag for the data (especially a totally undocumented tag) to get a
> rendering you like is really not helpful.

How would you suggest that data is tagged so that a renderer or a router
knows the true local situation, e.g. "This reference tag, B1363, appears
on signs is nationally unique and is something that drivers can use as a
reference, but this other reference tag, C91, doesn't appear on signs,
is unique only to the local authority that issued it, and can't be used
for navigation"?  It's not as simple as saying "all B road refs and
signed and all C road refs are unsigned" - there are quite a few exceptions.

Best Regards,

Andy