[Talk-GB] Road refs

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Wed Aug 29 19:37:02 UTC 2018

On 29/08/18 20:25, Toby Speight wrote:
> Thanks for that - it predates my joining this list.  It seems to (partially)
> answer only my first question - it's to benefit those who don't like their
> rendering (on paper/screen or on a navigation device).  That's why we have
> rendering rules - if you don't like the rendering, change the rules.  Using
> the wrong tag for the data (especially a totally undocumented tag) to get a
> rendering you like is really not helpful.

The people it benefits are people using OSM to navigate in vehicles,
whether with routing software or with visual maps, as displaying
information that doesn't exist on the ground results in their looking
for signs that don't exist.

I would argue that the people tagging for the renderer are those who add
references that don't exist on the ground and are not actually
nationally unique.