[Talk-GB] Road refs

Dave F davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com
Wed Aug 29 23:57:21 UTC 2018

On 29/08/2018 20:32, Toby Speight wrote:

> I consider it a "niche" that wants them hidden.

The vast, vast majority are hidden on the ground.

>   I don't see
> that we have to mis-tag them all to have them hidden - I can see it
> would be useful to have a map with less clutter, but it shouldn't be
> hard to do that without having to mangle the underlying OSM database!

Separating tags isn't "mangling" It makes the database more detailed &
accurate.

How would you propose to do it?

> Yes, I appreciate that if the highways_authority_ref were documented and
> somehow agreed to be correct, then for mkgmap it would be a simple
> matter of "add ref ${highways_authority_ref};" near the beginning; it
> would be a bit harder to get a workable tag template for Merkaartor, but
> tools like KeepRight and Geofabrik QA aren't so easily adjusted, and
> unlikely to adopt new tagging until it's at least documented.

I'm sorry, but this is poppycock. All data users should have ability to
responded to changes in the database. The tail does not wag the dog.

DaveF