[Talk-GB] Road refs

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Thu Aug 30 08:34:44 UTC 2018

All "ref" values are relative to some authority who is responsible for
maintaining the list. The "A1" in ref=A1 is not unique unless you
specify that (for example) the UK Department for Transport issued that
value. A C-number is still a valid ref, but the maintainer of the list
is a local council. Even within the UK there are duplicates by the way -
Northern Ireland has its own set of road numbers which often duplicate
numbers in GB. So we can't say that a plain "ref=*" is nationally unique
either.

Assuming the formal definition of "ref" is "the value in some
administration" and not "the value on the sign", the proper fix is to
change all ref=* to ref:XXX=* where XXX represents the issuing
authority. Alternatively keep ref=* and add authority:ref=XXX. Using
source:ref is no good because that represents how you found out, and may
be something like source:ref=sign.

If we define "ref" as "the value on the sign" it should be
"signed_road_number" or something, not "ref" as this implies a
referential relationship with some other entity.