[Talk-GB] un-named roads in UK

SK53 sk53.osm at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 14:33:57 UTC 2018

A few general points:

* Google certainly uses OS Open Data for street names in the UK. I
corrected a few a while back via the OSGB feeback and they then filtered
through to Google Maps. In one case the GSV clearly showed the correct name
on the road sign.
* The first couple of examples provided by the MS team look like mobile
home parks/caravan sites. In these cases, as with many industrial estates,
the name most likely does not really belong on the road, and they should be
mapped using addr:place.
* Any potential comparison with PAF-derived data may be awkward from both
OSM's T&Cs and those of the Royal Mail. (see discussions of Land Registy
Prices Paid data *inter alia*).
* OS Open Data is a good source of roads which actually have names. I think
the error rate is much lower than when the data was first released in 2010:
at least in part because we have provided feedback. (The most common
significant issue was incorrect position of road name changes).

Jerry