[Talk-GB] Rendering of old phoneboxes (was: Mistagging of old telephone boxes)

ajt1047 at gmail.com ajt1047 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 17:03:33 UTC 2018

On 24/12/2017 01:12, Craig Wallace wrote:
> It would be good to have some better tags for phoneboxes (which may or
> may not actually contain a working phone). The phonebox is often a
> distinctive landmark, especially the classic red ones, and many are
> now listed buildings.

> Why not a specific tag for telephone_box or something?
> It would also be useful to tag that it is a classic red phone box,
> even if you don't know what exact model it is.

Hi,
I've been thinking for a while about how to render these, and after
noticing how many were now tagged with something, have had a go at
rendering current and former red phone boxes like this one:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/1210961179
http://map.atownsend.org.uk/maps/map/map.html#zoom=18&lat=52.970323&lon=-1.459425

There will, I'm sure, be errors (for a start it doesn't exclude Hull,
where there are no red phone boxes) and it will obviously show the wrong
use where someone's used an old photo rather than a current survey to
say that a phone box is still there.  The code's here:

https://github.com/SomeoneElseOSM/SomeoneElse-style/blob/6efbd8138581c0dc079f4f238786dc3b82e90fbf/style.lua#L800

That's based on the values in OSM as of about a week ago.

Are there any "current uses" of phoneboxes that I'm missing beyond
library, defibrillator, tourist info, atm, bicycle repair station,
disused and (obviously) telephone?

Best Regards,

Andy