[Talk-GB] Errors in Street Names in Addresses

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Mon Jan 29 13:50:06 UTC 2018

On 29/01/18 13:27, Ed Loach wrote:
>> All that is left to be sorted out is should all the current
>> addr:postcode entries logged against the street ways be replaced
>> with
>> postal_code

> My suggestion is don't worry about it. Data consumers can easily check for both, and as soon as the actual addresses be mapped the tag (whichever) should be removed from the road anyway. In fact most data consumers are more likely to use CodePoint Open as a more complete dataset anyway.

Certainly most of the 'mistakes' I've looked at to reduce the totals on
'WR' have not thrown up things that actually want changing! Personally
however my own list of UK postcodes is based on the street elements of
OSM so as NOT to be reliant on codepoint which does not supply freely
usable street names? So being able to simply list 'highway' with
'addr:postcode' is an unrestricted data source. If that now has to be
changed to or mixed with 'postal_code' then so be it, but 'don't worry'
is not the right answer when one IS trying to tidy well defined data sets.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL