[Talk-GB] Errors in Street Names in Addresses

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Tue Jan 30 11:40:52 UTC 2018

On 30/01/18 10:14, Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) wrote:
> (There weren't nearly as many objects in case 2 as I thought there
> would be here based on people's comments, so it's possible I've messed
> up the programming logic somewhere. If there are still any objects
> with a highway=* tag listed in other sections, then please let me
> know, and I'll see if I can fix the bug.)

http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/4298681 is now listed in 'highways with
postcodes' for WR12 7EP, but my next road which is tagged the same way
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/4299405 is under 'Street Name
Mismatches in Postcode Unit' but has the same name in both columns, so I
don't see what the problem is ... A large number of WR12 7** postcodes
are correct as far as MY checks show. WR12 7JJ, WR12 7PH, WR12 7PP ...
WR12 7PJ has snagged a bus stop node ...

One source of questions is the addition of addr:postcode to bus stops.
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/799223204 for example seems just
wrong as it's now where near the WR12 7HP road and a quick check on
local bus routes shows none stopping there anyway ... AH looks like the
bus stop is now in the wrong place ... buses go down WR12 7HP now. But
you can see the problem that adding postcodes to objects that don't have
postal addresses seems strange except if one is tagging for routing :(

Other nodes are also throwing up questions such as
http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/3383359238 ...OK - WR14 3LT and WR14
3LY are getting confused by the ' which is not on the PAF file or on the
Worcestershire Hub listing ... but is on google maps :)

But I would repeat that while 'Code-Point Open' provides a list of valid
postcodes, it can't be used to check the street names, so adding the
postcode to the street seems to be the right thing to do. The only
question is if t should be addr:postcode and combined with other addr:
elements for 'place' or simply 'postal_code' ... I can accept the second
if the guide is also to omit other addr: elements from the street
tagging ... use of addr:place, addr:location and the like cries out for
addr:postcode ... 'postal_code' pairs up with 'is_in' which is something
else that does not work well?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL