[Talk-GB] Errors in Street Names in Addresses

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Wed Jan 31 09:44:54 UTC 2018

On 31/01/18 09:07, Mark Goodge wrote:
> On 27/01/2018 20:09, Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) wrote:
>
>> Secondly, some addresses contain two street names, a main
>> street and a so-called "dependent street". Apart from the historic
>> anomalies, a single postcode should only cover one main street, but
>> can include more than one dependent street.
>
> These are actually quite common, and having had a look at the error list
> for my local area nearly all of them are due to this - the address is on
>   secondary street accessed from the main street with which it shares a
> postcode. Here's one, for example:
>
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/304095650
>
>> (The tool will not see the
>> dependent streets as different if both streets are tagged, either as
>> addr:substreet and addr:street or as addr:street and
>> addr:parentstreet.)
>
> Which is the more correct usage here? Do we
>
> a) tag the dependent street as the addr:street, and the main street as
> addr:parentstreet, or should we
>
> b) (following Royal Mail practice as found in the PAF), tag the
> dependent street as a addr:substreet and the main street as addr:street?
>
> My personal preference would be the latter, it's not only consistent
> with official addressing practice but it's also how most people perceive
> these kind of addresses as well. But, on the other hand, most map
> editors are likely to use addr:street for the dependent street, simply
> because the editor UI doesn't make it obvious that addr:substreet is a
> possibility. So it might be simpler to fix these by adding
> addr:parentstreet as necessary rather than trying to get everything
> pedantically correct.

I've the same problem on a number of cases and certainly
addr:parentstreet is just wrong ... the sub street is actually part of
the house detail rather than the street, so similar to 'Flat 1 Block of
Flats' ' Street' but this still leaves the 'addr:street' or
'postal_code' question for the tag on the primary street. Having SOME of
these tagged 'addr:parentstreet' is simply wrong ...

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL