[Talk-GB] Two new tools: 'Ghosts' and 'Survey Me'

Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) robert.whittaker+osm at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 10:24:36 UTC 2018

On 11 June 2018 at 21:37, Andy Mabbett <andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk> wrote:
> I have the same issue; it's telling me there's an "unexpected" school at:
>
>    https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/9568056#map=18/52.54706/-1.89224
>
> It's definitely a school; I drive past it daily; and it has a web presence at:
>
>    http://www.oscottmanor.bham.sch.uk/

As it says at http://robert.mathmos.net/osm/survey/ "Some flagged
items may be false positives caused by ... mismatches with the wrong
OSM objects". That's what's happened here if you look at the main
schools tool at:
http://robert.mathmos.net/osm/schools/progress/B/#17/52.54752/-1.89212

There are two schools in the official register in that area, but three
amenity=school/college objects in OSM. The extra "Unexpected School"
in OSM is actually the Maryvale Institute. As far as I can tell, this
college offers higher education courses (i.e. undergraduate degrees)
so would be better tagged as amenity=university rather than
amenity=college. If this is done, then the two schools on the official
register will be matched to the two remaining schools in OSM, and the
flagged errors will disappear.

People local to Birmingham might be interested in looking at
http://robert.mathmos.net/osm/schools/progress/B/ where there are a
lot of red circles indicating "unexpected" schools in OSM. Some of
these are likely to be duplicate objects (e.g. both a school grounds
polygon and a building being tagged with amenity=school), some will be
non-schools tagged as amenity=school/college, some will be a second
site for a existing school, and others might be schools that have
since closed. The matching by the tool works will in most places, but
can struggle in dense urban areas with lots of schools close together.
You can help the tool get the matching right by adding the appropriate
ref:edubase=* tags to the schools in OSM. (Schools already matched by
this key are shown with dark green lines, other matches -- based on
location and postcodes -- are shown with light green lines.)

Robert.

--
Robert Whittaker