[Talk-GB] Has someone just given us (the start of) access to the crown jewels?

Mark Goodge mark at good-stuff.co.uk
Thu Jun 14 08:16:19 UTC 2018

On 14/06/2018 08:17, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> Mike Thacker wrote:
>> Yes, a threshold on getting the data via an API, but true Open
>> Government Licence doesn't limit the amount of data used (as
>> far as I know) so it should be possible to build up a fill picture
>> as open data.
>
> The transaction-limited versions don't appear to be being released as OGL;
> OS is simply offering a free starter tariff for them. OS draws a distinction
> on their product page between "for free up to a threshold" and "completely
> open under Open Government Licence (OGL)" (it's that old free speech/beer
> thing again).

It will be interesting to see what the actual licence conditions are on
the non-OGL limited-free data. There are parts of it that may be useful
for OSM and similar projects, even if only in limited quantity (eg,
something that could be used to resolve ambiguities created by
on-the-ground mapping). But that would depend on whether the licence
allows the incorporation of limited-free data into an open source dataset.

> So the property extents are the only new data being released as OGL for now,
> with the possibility of UPRN/USRN data later on.

Topography layer TOIDs will also be OGL from the start. But I have to
confess that I don't actually know what these are, and what they might
be useful for :-)

Mark