[Talk-GB] Forked version of OS Android API for arbitrary OSGB tile servers

Nick Whitelegg nick.whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Thu Jun 14 16:59:23 UTC 2018

Hello everyone,

Thought this might be of interest for those of you who might, for any reason, wish to develop Android apps which use maps in OSGB projection for any purposes, e.g. historical OS maps or OpenData maps such as VectorMap District hosted on your own server.

As part of the development of the app version of MapThePaths (see post from last week - I hope to do the updates to the website in the next few days) I have created a fork of the original OS OpenSpace Android SDK (BSD licensed). This version differs from the OS original as it can be used with any online tile server in OSGB projection, not just OS's own products.

It's available at

https://github.com/nickw1/openspace-android-sdk

I also made a few other changes to the API, mostly convenience methods for tasks such as getting the map bounds or the current centre point and scale of the map.

Nick