[Talk-GB] Local names of bits of trunk roads

Stuart Reynolds stuart at travelinesoutheast.org.uk
Mon Jun 25 13:13:06 UTC 2018

So here’s a question.

As the A1 passes Sandy in Central Bedfordshire, and further south, the road has local road names. For example, it is London Road past Sandy, and High Road as it passes Beeston to the south of Sandy. These names are verifiable from other sources, and while I note that these are DEFRA’s OS-derived MAGIC map, and Google, I am only using these to confirm data that I have been given in other contexts. OSM here, though, has “Great North Road”. This is _not_ the name of the road. It is more of a colloquial name for the entire A1 than anything official … although it is still recognised as a name.

So how should I tag this? I want to have the correct name for the sections of A1, yet I don’t know how far these extend (my data lists the street names at points, not over lengths), and equally I don’t want to lose the Great North Road tag - just to demote it.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Stuart

Stuart Reynolds