[Talk-GB] Spurious No U turns in GB

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Wed Jun 27 15:01:03 UTC 2018

On 27/06/18 15:30, SK53 wrote:
> # Junctions with islands which also cause a single carriageway to split
> and merge around the junction.
> #

I would definitely agree that this is tagging for the renderer, and wrong.

However, I can think of a case like this where you might well get
attention from the police, for a dangerous manoeuvre, if you U-turned at
any time but the early hours.  I seem to remember that one of the
routers thinks this is a good place for a U-turn.

Obviously the correct thing is for routers to use a heuristic to detect
that if two one way roads join at a very acute angle, they shouldn't
route from one to the other, or should give it a large penalty, but it
does beg the question as to whether OSM should allow router hints.

The problem with hints is that, like "too dangerous for cycles, so mark
as no cycling" they are subjective, and the router should really be
looking at the topology to infer a that this is really a dual carriageway.