[Talk-GB] Petrol stations again

SK53 sk53.osm at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 21:28:08 UTC 2018

Dear All,

You may not be aware of a new planned import of petrol stations by Ilya.
This is a follow-up to the UK Shell stations using very similar principles,
but a larger number of brands. Discussion on the imports mailing list here:
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/imports/2018-March/005404.html.
Someone suggested that instead of Ilya having to write to 10s of mailing
lists the burden could be shared: so here I am for UK & Ireland.

The dataset is downloadable, but is large to deal with even in QGIS, and
the direct website link at the time of writing is unusable by me. I
therefore thought it was useful to create a umap with only those stations
which are to be added (a little under 400) and deleted (only 3):
map.openstreetmap.fr/en/map/fuel-stations-import_203895

Remarks about individual items to be added which I have examined (mainly, I
thin, for Ilya's benefit):

* Sainsbury's Castle Marina Nottingham. Duplicates existing petrol station.
The point is located where the petrol station was until Summer 2013. (on OSM
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/33077827>)
* Sainsbury's Kimberley. Duplicates existing petrol station. The point is
located over the supermarket. (on OSM
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/521864825>)
* Sainsbury's Oldham. Duplication. As above. (on OSM
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/286960799>)
* Applegreen Clones. Duplication. Point is accurately located. (on OSM
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/2309768436>)
* Centra supermarket, Belturbet. Duplication. Point is accurately located. (on
OSM <https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/333908760>)
* Belturbet, Kilconny townland. Duplication. Point is accurately located. (on
OSM <https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/362052697>)
* BP, Newmarket Road, Cambridge. This was a construction site when  last
surveyed it Sept. 2016. I haven't checked if I had further information
about what was being built when I passed. (on OSM
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/445109777>)
* Shell at Waitrose, Wollaton, Nottingham. This is an oddity which may be
worth tracking. This petrol station closed in late November, ostensibly to
re-open after Christmas. However after being closed for 3 months I have
marked it as disused on OSM, but it still has opening hours imported from
navads. It would be very interesting to see if/when such changes are
reflected in the navads data. (on OSM
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/257550868>)

It appears that perhaps the conflation distance may need to be increased
for Sainsbury's data. The three Cavan/Monaghan locations are actually
duplications in the source data, so the second item gets treated as a new
location (mentioned in the thread on imports).

I have not looked at any of the additional tags which will be modified,
largely because they dont interest me, but others may wish to (see also
SomeoneElse's comments on the imports list).

Regards,

Jerry