[Talk-GB] Edits in Wales

Adam Snape adam.c.snape at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 22:07:50 UTC 2018

I'm not sure about other countries, but one thing I did notice when living
in Wales is that there did seem in many (most) cases to be a consistently
preferred name. For this reason there is a problem automatically adding
name:en for an English variant of a name where most English speakers would
use the Welsh name. Someone wishing to render a map for English speakers
would end up rendering legitimate but antiquated or seldom used English
names rather than the Welsh name that most English speakers would actually
use. Thus, I would caution against a separate name:en tag where the name
tag already carries the name preferred by English speakers.I would suggest
alt_name:en or old_name:en respectively for less common variants.

The same argument applies to the (somewhat rarer) places where the English
names are preferred by Welsh speakers. Over enthusiasm amongst some
councils in recent decades has sometimes resulted in places signed with
ancient or newly-contrived Welsh translations of names. IIRC the Welsh
Language Board was somewhat critical of this behaviour. If the names have
no currency amongst Welsh speakers, I would advise against a name:cy tag,
preferring alt_name:cy, old_name:cy or official_name:cy.

Regards,

Adam