[Talk-GB] UK Quarterly Project: Post Offices

Mark Goodge mark at good-stuff.co.uk
Thu May 3 11:57:58 UTC 2018

On 03/05/2018 11:25, SK53 wrote:
> Can we please avoid changing the meaning of post office by extending it
> to courier offices, and restrict it to those places which offer not only
> a full service mail offering (aka Universal Postal Service), but the
> traditional other services available at post offices (some banking,
> government forms, etc). Extending the meaning of the tag would make OSM
> data immediately intrinsically less useful in cities where courier
> offices exist. Such a change would a) require every post office to be
> suitably tagged with an indication of which service it belongs to; and
> b) require every data consumer to change.

I agree. "Post Office" has a specific legal meaning in the UK, and
applying the tag to things that are not actually Post Offices would be
confusing at the very least.

I think it would be helpful to have a suitable tag for things like
Amazon lockers and Hermes drop-off points. But they're not Post Offices.
They're not even close to being Post Offices. They fulfil a different
role, and need to be identified as such.

Mark