[Talk-GB] Toys R Us

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Sat May 5 12:03:16 UTC 2018

Taking as read the arguments in for and against a mechanical edit for
possibly closed shops* it'd be great if shops that we definitely know
are now closed could be properly tagged as what they are now, so for
example
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/1485964357#map=19/53.98855/-1.09350
can then be rendered as
https://map.atownsend.org.uk/maps/map/map.html#zoom=21&lat=53.988577&lon=-1.0934931
and https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/3265969285 as
https://map.atownsend.org.uk/maps/map/map.html#zoom=20&lat=53.9879136&lon=-1.049185
.

I'm not making a case for any particular way of mapping vacant shops
(I'll try and reflect what's in the database) but just deleting the shop
nodes for them doesn't make sense when they're still major landmarks.
Former BHSes are still pretty noticeable even long after closure; some
former Blockbusters even more so (quite a few retain the colour scheme -
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/116338603/history for example has new
signage designed around it).

Best Regards,

Andy

* OSM's equivalent of brexit discussions - everyone just restates their
case and no-one listens.