[Talk-GB] Footpaths - search for the missing ones

Nick Whitelegg nick.whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Thu May 10 10:34:56 UTC 2018

I might be potentially interested in developing something with this data, partly because I already run a site (freemap) which shows OSM maps for walkers and stores them in a PostGIS database - so it should be an easy process to filter out the data to find those points which are not close to an OSM highway. It would also be easy for me to adapt my existing code to visualise these "FP" points. Presumably they are just points with no indication of direction of the path? An "FP" label presumably has orientation so something could possibly be deduced about its course at that point if orientation was available too.

I also already visualise the data so visualising the missing ROWs would be easily done too.

It would be nice to develop features to find nearby locations where there are lots of these missing paths, e.g. if I am in Southampton, find the nearest village with 10, 20 (or whatever) missing paths within a 5-mile radius.

Would be nice to have an app too so you can find these footpaths while you're actually out.

So potentially interested in this, yes. I don't want to commit 100% but would be nice to have the data.

Nick