[Talk-GB] Railway Platforms - Covered=yes are not shown in latest rendering

Mark Goodge mark at good-stuff.co.uk
Tue May 29 20:52:00 UTC 2018

On 29/05/2018 15:48, Dan S wrote:
>> On 29/05/18 14:53, Tony Shield wrote:
>>>
>>> At the end of this week (2nd June) I intend to change the platforms I know
>>> to remove covered=yes, if you disagree please challenge.
>>

> Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the issue seems to be that the
> carto change works on the assumption that covered=yes implies the
> feature isn't visible (e.g. because partly underground), whereas
> others may be are working on the assumption that covered=yes means you
> won't get rained on (e.g. there is some kind of roof)?
>
> The wiki seems pretty clear actually - it only really talks about the
> first of the two meanings.
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:covered

Yes, that's my understanding, too.

I think that 'covered' may possibly be a poor choice of word here,
because it has multiple meanings in normal English usage and it isn't
intuitively obvious which is the correct meaning in terms of OSM. If I
was starting from scratch, I think I'd be inclined to seek a better term
for "something that is underneath something else". But, we are where we
are, and the wiki is clear enough on the current usage. So we may as
well stick with it.

Mark